Thursday, May 28, 2009

For Andrew: Mac and Blue Cheese

Mac and Blue Cheese, or Mac a Man Can Make

This is the recipe that brought about my love for blue cheese. Tyler requested orzo for dinner, and I found a version of this with orzo in my online perusings. So clueless about what type of blue cheese to use, I picked out about six small wedges at the charcuterie and had a little taste test with Tyler. (And, thusly, the cheese retrospective blog was born!) My recipe uses mini penne, but orzo or any other small pasta can be substituted. Fresh spinach is a great addition if you would like to make this a one dish meal. This recipe is rediculously easy for how delicious it is, and it is my standard suggestion to guy friends who want to cook for a girl. I would probably use Rogue Smokey Blue, but you can use whatever kind of blue makes you happy. This one goes out to my homeboy Andrew, who is apparantly as big a nerd about Rogue cheese as I am.

1/2 lb. small penne or elbow macaroni
4 strips pepper bacon, cooked and crumbled, fat reserved
2 onions, sliced thin
2 oz. marscapone
3 oz. blue cheese
2 oz. provolone, shredded
1/4 - 1/3 c. cream
salt and pepper to taste

While you are cooking the pasta according to the directions on the package, saute the onions in the reserved bacon fat over medium to medium high heat until they just start to brown. (If you are adding spinach, add it to the onions about a minute before they are done.) When the pasta is done, drain it, and while it is still hot, combine all the ingredients and stir until all the cheese is melted and the pasta is evenly covered with the sauce. And that's it. Serves 2.

This recipe is property of Domestic Prowess and may not be reprinted without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment